The Autism Outreach Team consists of workers trained in all aspects of autism, the use of TEACCH, PECS, Social Stories and other complimentary interventions.
How does the team work?
- They work using the strengths of autism. They look to adapt the physical environment for the child and use visual supports to teach routines, manage behaviour and make the world more meaningful. This helps to reduce anxiety and challenging behaviours.
- They also use other programmes and approaches to change behaviour and enable independence.
- They will do an initial assessment or observation and plan work over 6 sessions.
- They will then evaluate the work undertaken and plan further sessions if appropriate.
What does the team do?
Work with parents, teaching staff and other professionals to enable them to develop techniques to help with the following:
- Organising time at home
- Socially inappropriate behaviour
- Repetitive behaviours
- Self help/Life skills
- Personal hygiene
- Bedtimes and sleep
- Going out/participation in clubs
- Food and mealtimes
- Anxieties and obsessions
- Transitions/break times
- Understanding diagnosis
- Friendships/social skills
- Emotional literacy
- Organising and sequencing
- Anger management
- Any other issues that are a direct result of the young person's autism
Who does the team work with?
The team may be able to work with a young person if they have a confirmed diagnosis of an Autistic Spectrum Disorder including Asperger's Syndrome, PDD-NOS and some other conditions, are between 4 and 19 years old and if there are issues at school or home or a combination of both.
Who can refer to the service?
Referrals can come from professionals, families or staff in educational settings. Initial referrals are through the Education Entitlement Service and are forwarded to the Autism Outreach Team.
How to make a referral
Click on the contact form and fill it in. Mention that your child has a diagnosis of Autism. Submit the form and the contact will be passed to the Autism Outreach Team who will allocate a worker as soon as possible.
If you would like help to fill in the form over the phone contact the customer service centre Tel: 03001261000.